Friday, February 15, 2008

Back to school.., or not?

Last time I told you guys what was going on, was after the riot, or rather the demonstrations, started on Monday. Now it is Friday afternoon, and this is what has happened:
Tuesday when I arrived at school, there were hardly anyone there. A couple of teachers were sitting in the staff room, and we were all wondering what was happening... Was there going to be school or demonstrations? Some students had told me the day before that they would be demonstrating also on Tuesday, but who knew what would really happen...
Then all of a sudden one teacher comes running, saying we must just all leave. A parent had told him that the students were going to come after him and his car, and set them both on fire! So we went to the circuit office 20 mins away from the school. That is where head of department is, and here we could present our case to the right people (whoever they are.., some leader of the schools in the area). So that is where we, all the teachers, remained for most of the day. Fortunately I had some school work in the car, so I could get a little bit of work done.
In the mean time the kids were burning more tyres and having confrontations with the police! This time the police had probably used all their tear gass, 'cause now they started shooting at the kids with rubber bullets!!! That is just insane and pure paranoia!!! If the police cannot stop the kids from demonstrating, they should just control them, use these plastic sheilds if they are throwing stones at them!!! The police are there to protect and control, NOT to attac!!! They are CHILDREN, for crying out loud!!! This is NOT the way to teach them! Some of the kids had to go to the clinick after the whole ordeal!
Well, we were over at the circuit office not knowing what was going on! So I prayed! And I prayed some more! And then I prayed again! At the end of the day, we decided to have a prayer meeting the next day! So Wednesday prayed for the kids, the police, for the school, for the new building to be errected, for teh ones in charge of the whole building project, for the ones sitting on the bag of money, and so on!
Later I got an sms, saying that we would be gong back to school and teaching the next day, Thursday. Yee-ha! :)
I only teach one period on Thursdays (so far, new timetable next week), and I was looking forward to it! The 9B that is normally 62 pupils were reduced to 16!!! How nice is that! ;) For once we could have a little discussion! But what had happened to the other 46?? Hadn't word gotten around to them that there would be school again? Who knows? Today, Friday, they were still just 16. Two girls came to me asking if I could not come to their class again, 'cause they were so few also today. They must have liked having actual teaching instead of "crowd control"..! ;) How about that! :))) My kids! :D I told them that if there was another period where the teacher didn't show up, which happenes ALL the time because no-one is filling in for those who are absent, they must come and get me! the next thing that happenes is that all my 8A-pupils are leaving the school!!! It's 20 mins before I'm going to teach them about uncountable nouns, and they are just leaving.., along with all the other pupils f the school!!! I asked them why they were leaving, but all they could say was "I don't know..", or "This one, mam...!", pointing at a fellow pupil as to say that he had said it was time to go home...
I come to the staff room, where I found out that the vice principal had just called it a day, just like that..! She had told the pupils, but not the staff... So we all go home, which is nice, but it also means that we have lost yet one more precious period of teaching...
Just hang in there, Mon!!!

Tonight I'm going to my very first live rugby game!!! I'm gonna watch the Sharks, last year's winner of the series, play against the Western Force! Should be a GREAT game! I've been told... Watching a whole bunch of big guys hugging each other, (literally) pulling each others croaches, and running like a maniac! Will take pic's!!! :)))

Peace and Love

4 comments:

Ingrid. said...

Hmm... Some challenges - faced by the children, and by you. Believe you can make a change for the better! At least you are not "brainwashed" into thinking that all of this is normal. There must be something constructive that can be done...

sinead said...

talk about exciting reading! What happens in the next chapter?

Love the way you go straight to prayer every time there's a challenge and there could be panic. You know what works and you get right into it. Admirable!

And as for the rugby...about time you learnt about a real sport! Go you good thing go!

Hey next time there's a fire just let us know- we'll send you the water you need. we've got bucketfuls of it here!!!!!!

Lisa said...

Monika - thank you for your faithfulness. You are in this for the long haul and I'm so grateful you have taken a step of faith to do this. THank you for sharing. My love and heart go out to you in this time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mon!! Naa er jeg paa Mercy Ships!! Utrolig bra, gjett hvem jeg traff da jeg skulle gaa inn paa baaten? Miranda!! Viste ikke at hun var her, skal hilse saa masse. Hun er her med "brille teamet" Du er saa utrolig fling med elevene dine, faar de til aa gjoere ting de sikkert aldri har gjort bla vaske klasse rom. Du har skjoent det du. Er veldig stolt av deg, gleder meg til aa se deg til jul!! Kjempe gla i deg. Har laget en blogg jeg ogsaa. www.123hjemmeside.no/maybrittsandvik